Skip to main content

About Medaille Trust



Medaille Trust’s mission is to provide refuge and freedom from modern slavery. We are the largest provider of supported safe house beds for victims of modern slavery in the UK.

Medaille Trust began when one lady – Sister Ann Teresa SSJA (now our life president) – said ‘something must be done’. She gathered a group of friends from different Religious congregations and together they started tackling the scourge of modern slavery.



The primary mission of The Medaille Trust is the empowerment of women, men and children, who have been freed from the human-trafficking and the modern day slavery industry in the UK, enabling them to regain their dignity and self-worth. We do this by providing safe housing and offering opportunities for physical and psychological healing, rehabilitation and protection to the victims in our care.

Since 2006 the Trust continues to grow and meet the needs of the increasing number of victims identified in the UK.

Now, 14 years on The Medaille Trust operate from 9 safe houses offering a total of 116 bed spaces to women, men and children.   Our current range of safe house provision offers 5 dedicated women’s houses, 3 male houses and 1 specialist family centre.

Our specialist teams support clients 24/7 on the road to restoration and independence.

In 2018/19 we supported 315 victims from 45 different nationalities to become survivors.
118 of those we supported were male.

In addition to supporting the 315 victims, we supported 70 dependents.

We have a 99% success rate in turning victims into survivors. 

We have an average 90% occupancy rate throughout our services. 

Our partnership work with law enforcement agencies has resulted in

• A UK police force reviewing its victim handling procedures, resulting in a better victim experience and improved rates of prosecution
• Two pieces of complex international casework being positively resolved, with a significant number of victims being identified and a successful prosecution.
• A significant connection between two police investigations being made, resulting in an encouraging breakthrough at our international conference.

We Turn Victims into Survivors


Outcomes for victims of modern slavery who are supported by Medaille Trust

• Freedom from modern slavery
• Transformation from victim to survivor
• Increased resilience against negative behaviours
• Increased confidence and self-esteem
• Ability to integrate into a community and become a valued member of society.

What our Survivors say about Medaille Trust

“Medaille opened their doors to me when I was most in need. The staff walked by my side and helped me to find my way. I took in every opportunity Medaille
gave me. I did not sit down in the corner and feel sorry for myself anymore. With the help of the wonderful staff I spread my wings and today I fly high. I am free.”

 (Medaille Trust client 2019)


“Without the help of the Police and the staff at the Medaille Trust life would have been very different for me. I could never thank you all enough.”
(Louise, a Medaille Trust client 2018)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scooting as part of Bike Hike 2020 Training

I have been scooting along quite happily and merrily for a while now. Purchasing my own scooter a last year or so meant that we can have races to school, go for trips to the park with Amelia and having a jolly good time. Well, I never thought of taking it out on work trips or train stations and hopping on with it. I was revolutionary for me. I shortened my commute from  home to local train station by half, more time at home and best bit of all, the exercise. Let me describe my scooter, I went for the front and back brake scooter model from Oxelo (Decathlon brand) as I wanted to make sure I could safely brake and felt more in control. As shown below Why are you talking about Scooters? This blog is all about my fundraising and training for Medaille Trust #bikehike2020 This is because, of the health benefits and the all over body work-out, I have been getting from 10-15 minutes of commuting from this wonderful mode of transport. You have to self propel, I swap legs to var...

Bike Hike 2020 Intro

I am cycling from home in South Birmingham to Llanberis in Snowdonia national park which is 121 miles and will hiking to summit of Snowdon in one day. (Check out map below in photos) I will be doing this unaided, carrying all equipment for hiking - boots, clothing, food etc as well as cycling tools and kit. I will hiking up Llanberis path to the summit of Snowdon. The cycle will take 10 hours and the hiking 4-6 hours, dependent on fatigue. On any given day I can do either of these challenges, I have made this is a personal challenge through combining the two. I regularly cycle 100 miles and have ridden up to 140 miles in a day whilst doing coast to coast, Birmingham to Aberdovey, plus other bike related challenges. Hiking wise I have walked Scaffel, The Wrekin, Long Mynd, and other local hills as well Lake District every year. Keep up to date with my training and more about Medaille Trust and Modern Slavery on social media: Twitter: @medailletrust @marcpearson_134 Linke...

2020 cycling training recap

I have been working on my training plan which I created for winter training for a few months now. I have been soaked through, blown around in Storm Ciara and Storm Dennis, cycling in the dark nights. All to fit in some miles on the bike. Now we are approaching lights mornings, warmer fronts weather wise (today hopefully the exception as it has decided to snow and hail 🌨️❄️) I hope to begin getting in longer and more hours on the bike. So I thought a quick recap on some of my rides before I get going with regular updates. January started really well with some longer rides But for me it about short and intense especially with the colder, short days And mixing up with longer easier rides to keep up my mileage. Why am I doing my challenge of riding from South Birmingham to Snowdon with the hike to summit. Raise awareness of modern slavery and helping victims who Medaille Trust support in accomodation across UK to have more opportunities, act...